Re: "managing kernel resources" and platform-specific notes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "managing kernel resources" and platform-specific notes
Date: 2008-12-16 15:33:30
Lists: pgsql-docs

> We've got some platform-specific notes in the "managing kernel
> resources" (17.4.1 on 8.4devel) page. Since we recently got
> platform-specific sections in the installation instructions (15.8), it
> seems a good idea to move these notes to the new sections.

> Opinions?

Hmm, I'm not convinced. 95% of what was put into 15.8 is really
platform-specific *build* instructions. Merging configuration
information into that doesn't seem appropriate.

In general I think chapter 15 is about getting a correct set of
binaries, while chapter 17 deals with system configuration issues.
These should be kept separate, because in the common case of using
a prepackaged build, chapter 15 is of no interest but 17 still is.

It's quite likely that some of the stuff extracted from the old platform
FAQs really belongs in 17.