Re: [HACKERS] Why is libcurses added to build by configure?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: auer(at)kom(dot)id(dot)ethz(dot)ch
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Why is libcurses added to build by configure?
Date: 1998-10-31 17:44:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Karl Auer <auer(at)kom(dot)id(dot)ethz(dot)ch> writes:
> psql (at least in 6.3.2) uses curses and readline. I know this because
> I tried to compile under a SuSE 5.3 distribution.

Hmm. psql does use readline, but there's no direct dependency on
curses. (I verified this by building without curses; it works, here.)

Perhaps there are some implementations of readline that depend on
curses? The GNU libreadline I have here appears to use termcap,
but not curses. There might be other versions though.

I think it would be possible to extend configure to detect which
library(s) libreadline depends on, and only include those in the link.
But that's not something to risk at this stage...