Re: [pgsql-hackers] Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers] Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema
Date: 2005-01-29 00:43:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> GRANT SELECT ON ALL, NEW TABLES IN public TO phpuser;
> ... does both.

Ah, I overlooked that part of your message. I think the above probably
doesn't work in bison, but if not we could spell it like

GRANT SELECT ON ALL AND NEW TABLES IN public TO phpuser;

Or just make the user enter two commands for this case. Aside from
syntactic simplicity, that might be a good idea anyway. The NEW TABLES
case is *fundamentally* different from every other form of GRANT, in
that it causes future actions. So it might be a wise idea from the
standpoint of understandability to keep it as a separate command from
the immediate-acting ALL TABLES.