Re: BUG #4958: Stats collector hung on WaitForMultipleObjectsEx while attempting to recv a datagram

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Luke Koops <luke(dot)koops(at)entrust(dot)com>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #4958: Stats collector hung on WaitForMultipleObjectsEx while attempting to recv a datagram
Date: 2012-08-23 02:24:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Meanwhile, back at the ranch: I'm fine with applying that patch now that
>> it's had some field testing.

> Attached is a version that applies OK to 9.1, after resolving some
> conflicts. Review appreciated. It wasn't exactly clear to me how to
> handle the ereport/elog calls.

It looks sane to me in a quick once-over (bearing in mind I can't test
it). What's bothering you about the ereport calls?

> What to do pre-9.1 is a bit less clear to me, as the latch machinery
> doesn't exist at all in those versions. Some of the fixes can
> probably still be pulled out and applied, though.

Presumably the changes in win32/socket.c could still be applied; but
on the other hand it's not clear there's so much need for them pre-9.1.
IIRC most of the point of this patch was to eliminate the tug-of-war
over the socket's event attachment between socket.c and win32_latch.c,
so maybe there's not a bug pre-9.1.