Re: Use relative rpath if possible

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Use relative rpath if possible
Date: 2019-07-06 14:11:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> rebased patch attached, no functionality changes

> I poked at this a bit, and soon found that it fails check-world,
> because the isolationtester binary is built with an rpath that
> only works if it's part of the temp install tree, which it ain't.

Oh ... just thought of another issue in the same vein: what about
modules being built out-of-tree with pgxs? (I'm imagining something
with a libpq.so dependency, like postgres_fdw.) We probably really
have to keep using the absolute rpath for that, because not only
would such modules certainly fail "make check" with a relative
rpath, but it's not really certain that they're intended to get
installed into the same installdir as the core libraries.