Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Release Scheduale

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Release Scheduale
Date: 2005-01-07 16:01:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I agree Magnus has a point here. We just did major changes for Win32
>> configuration file locations and it seems it is a mistake to not have
>> sufficient time for testing and to see if something else comes up.
>>
>> I think we should shoot for the end of next week.

> I'm the last person to argue against delaying to get it right :) But, if
> we are going to delay to end of week, why not just make it a Sun package,
> Mon release, so that Josh et al can get the best bang for the PR/release
> announcement?

I think those were actually quite minor changes and are already fully
tested ;-). I see no need to slip a week for it.

If there had been significant changes between RC3 and RC4 then I would
agree we need a full week; but in practice the testing that was done on
RC3 counts too. So I think we are fine with release next week rather
than the week after. And I for one want to get this sucker out the
door...