Re: IPv6 Support for INET/CIDR types.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Paul Vixie <paul(at)vix(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Vadim Kogan <vadim(at)xcf(dot)berkeley(dot)edu>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IPv6 Support for INET/CIDR types.
Date: 2002-02-23 18:47:54
Lists: pgsql-patches

Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org> writes:
> Please do *NOT* revert the output functions. One of the MAJOR reasons
> for the change was to ALWAYS print ALL 4 octets of an IPv4 address in
> the default case.

AFAICT, Paul is not objecting to our adjustments to the I/O conventions.
What he wants is to find a way for the inner inet_{net_}{ntop,pton}
functions to remain identical to the ones in BIND, and do the
adjustments in the Postgres-specific wrapper routines. I'm not sure how
important that is in reality, but I have no problem with trying...