Re: Documentation update for PQexecParams

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: theo(at)flame(dot)co(dot)za
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation update for PQexecParams
Date: 2006-11-10 22:24:10
Lists: pgsql-docs

Theo Kramer <theo(at)flame(dot)co(dot)za> writes:
> On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 10:50 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The patch is backwards.

> Thanks - re-done and re-attached

I applied the part of this that reformats the PQexecParams argument
descriptions --- I agree that makes it more readable. I did not like
the proposed table of datatypes though. It strikes me as incomplete,
unhelpful, and in places downright misleading. For instance, I don't
see the point of listing ODBC type codes; they are irrelevant to libpq,
and the only likely outcome of listing them is that someone might think
he could use them for paramTypes[] entries. The description of the
binary formats was not helpful either, as it avoided any of the useful
details (endianness etc), as well as portability issues like whether
timestamps are int or float.