Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Clarify description of CIDR-address column

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Clarify description of CIDR-address column
Date: 2006-11-18 02:38:05
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Clarify description of CIDR-address column of pg_hba.conf, to discourage
>> people from trying notations like '10.6/16', which is accepted but does
>> not mean what you probably think. Per example from Paul Forgey.

> Isn't the real problem here that 10.6 doesn't mean what you probably think?

If you're proposing that we change the behavior of inet_aton(), I don't
think that's much of a solution, since then people who do remember the
old notation ... or recognize the analogy to IPv6 abbreviations, which
are not a lot different ... would get burnt. We can't do it anyway on
most modern platforms, unless we want to replace all of getaddrinfo()
which seems pretty unappealing.