Re: Going from a DB using SQL_ASCII to UNICODE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dion Almaer" <dion(at)almaer(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, "'Lloyd Benson'" <lloyd(at)middleware-company(dot)com>, "Eric Preston" <eric(at)middleware-company(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Going from a DB using SQL_ASCII to UNICODE
Date: 2004-04-20 01:20:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Dion Almaer" <dion(at)almaer(dot)com> writes:
> When we try to import the data from a SQL_ASCII dumped db, into the new
> UNICODE db, everything freaks out.

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I think what you need to do is add

set client_encoding = sql_ascii;

to the top of the dump file. (As of fairly recently, pg_dump will
automatically add such a SET, but I'm pretty sure 7.4.2 won't.)

If that doesn't help, then what you have is actually not valid UTF-8
data, and what you'll have to do is figure out what encoding it's in and
specify that instead. If it's in a mishmash of different encodings,
you're in for some pain :-(