Re: Refactoring xlogutils.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Refactoring xlogutils.c
Date: 2008-06-10 18:49:13
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> Attached is an updated version of my patch to refactor the
> XLogOpenRelation/XLogReadBuffer interface, in preparation for the
> relation forks patch, and subsequently the FSM rewrite patch.

The code motion in md.c looks fairly bogus; was that a copy-and-paste
error?

Otherwise it looks pretty sane, but I have one stylistic gripe:
I'm dubious about your willingness to assume that pfree() is enough for
getting rid of a fake relcache entry. Relcache entries are complex
beasts and it may not continue to work to do that. It's also possible
that we'd have additional resources attached to them someday. So
I think it'd be worth having a FreeFakeRelcacheEntry() routine to
localize the knowledge of how to get rid of them.