Re: New patch for bugs in GPDB csv format log handling

From: Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New patch for bugs in GPDB csv format log handling
Date: 2009-06-08 21:02:32
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Thanks Dave. Some questions:

> Hi,
>
> Some issues with this, 2 minor, one less so:
>
> - Please rearrange the code in frmStatus.h to remove the class
> definition. We try to keep the headers purely for declarations and
> only include one-line functions in them. I would suggest a new file in
> utils/ given that it's a generally useful class.

I would have done this already, but was worried you wouldn't accept new files this late in the cycle.
I will put the class definition in its own file. Should I also move the class declaration to its own .h file?
I think that would be cleaner.

> - Status bar messages such as _("Reading log from server.") should
> generally end with ... to indicate the task is ongoing.

Will do.

> - Messages passed to wxLogError should be translatable, and explain
> the problem to the user without being phrased as a question (wxT("Log
> line does not start with timestamp?: %s \n")). Messages passed to
> wxLogNotice needn't be translated however.

Will do. Hopefully, this can only be hit if a log file is corrupted.
Or should this just be a wxLogNotice, since the code is supposed to just recover any continue without any user interaction.
I'd made it a LogError mostly to help with my debugging when I was working on the code.