Re: Is there any documentation on how to correctly create extensions in HA(primary-standby) setup?

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is there any documentation on how to correctly create extensions in HA(primary-standby) setup?
Date: 2022-02-11 05:03:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 10:16:27AM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 1:26 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > I think that the common terminology is "module", not "extension". That's
> > especially important here as this information is also relevant for modules that
> > may come with an SQL level extension. This should be made clear in that new
> > documentation, same for the CREATE EXTENSION part that may not be relevant.
>
> Thanks for reviewing this. The aim of the patch is to add how one can
> create extensions with "CREATE EXTENSION" command in replication
> setup, not sure why I should use the term "module". I hope you have
> seen the usage of extension in the extend.sgml.

The aim of this patch should be to clarify postgres configuration for
additional modules in physical replication, whether those includes an extension
or not. Your patch covers implication of modifying shared_preload_libraries,
are you saying that if there's no extension associated with that library it
shouldn't be covered?

A simple example is auto_explain, which also means that the documentation
should probbaly mention that shared_preload_libraries is only an example and
all configuration changes should be reported (and eventually adapted) on the
standby, like session_preload_libraries among others.