Re: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, ranier_gyn(at)hotmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars
Date: 2019-12-18 09:55:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-Dec-18, Michael Paquier wrote:

> Let's take one example. The changes in pg_dump/ like
> /progname/prog_name/ have just been done in haste, without actual
> thoughts about how the problem ought to be fixed. And in this case,
> something which could be more adapted is to remove the argument from
> usage() because progname is a global variable, initialized from the
> beginning in pg_restore.

We discussed progname as a global/local before -- IIRC in the thread
that introduced the frontend logging API -- and while I think the whole
issue could stand some improvement, we shouldn't let it be driven by
minor changes; that'll only make it more confusing. IMO if we want it
improved, a larger change (involving the bunch of frontend programs) is
what to look for. Maybe what you suggest is an improvement, though
(certainly the "prog_name" patch wasn't).