Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods

From: Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Ildar Musin <i(dot)musin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Евгений Шишкин <itparanoia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date: 2018-01-25 14:24:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 16:03:20 +0300
Ildar Musin <i(dot)musin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

Thanks for review!

> As you see, compression option is copied anyway. I suggest adding new
> INCLUDING COMPRESSION option to enable user to explicitly specify
> whether they want or not to copy compression settings.

Good catch, i missed INCLUDE options for LIKE command. Added INCLUDING
COMPRESSION as you suggested.

> I found a few phrases in documentation that can be improved. But the
> documentation should be checked by a native speaker.
>
> In compression-am.sgml:
> "an compression access method" -> "a compression access method"
> "compression method method" -> "compression method"
> "compability" -> "compatibility"
> Probably "local-backend cached state" would be better to replace with
> "per backend cached state"?
> "Useful to store the parsed view of the compression options" -> "It
> could be useful for example to cache compression options"
> "and stores result of" -> "and stores the result of"
> "Called when CompressionAmOptions is creating." -> "Called when
> <structname>CompressionAmOptions</structname> is being initialized"
>
> "Note that in any system cache invalidation related with
> pg_attr_compression relation the options will be cleaned" -> "Note
> that any <literal>pg_attr_compression</literal> relation invalidation
> will cause all the cached <literal>acstate</literal> options cleared."
> "Function used to ..." -> "Function is used to ..."
>
> I think it would be nice to mention custom compression methods in
> storage.sgml. At this moment it only mentions built-in pglz
> compression.

I agree, the documentation would require a native speaker. Fixed the
lines you mentioned.

--
---
Ildus Kurbangaliev

Attachment Content-Type Size
custom_compression_methods_v10.patch text/x-patch 324.0 KB