Re: IF (NOT) EXISTS in psql-completion

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IF (NOT) EXISTS in psql-completion
Date: 2016-09-16 08:31:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello, this is the new version.

At Tue, 13 Sep 2016 10:50:13 +0900 (Tokyo Standard Time), Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote in <20160913(dot)105013(dot)65452566(dot)horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
> > > This patch consists of the following files. Since these files are
> > > splitted in strange criteria and order for historical reasons,
> > > I'll reorganize this and post them later.

The focus of this patch has changed. The first motivation was
completing IF-EXISTS but the underlying issue was flexibility of
psql_completion. And as Pavel's suggestion, keywords suggested
along with database objects should follow the character case of
input.

For the purpose of resolving the issues, I reorganized the
confused patch set. The attached patches are organized as the
following.

1. Refactoring tab-complete to make psql_completion code

Does two things. One is moving out the macros that has grown to
be too large to stay in tab_completion.c to new file
tab-complete-macros.h The other is separating out the else-if
sequence in psql_completion() as a new function
psql_completion_internal(). This allows us to the following
things.

- Exit from arbitrary place in the former-else-if sequence just
by return.

- Do other than "if(matching) { completion }" in anywhere
convenient in the midst of the former-els...

- Recursively matching for sub syntaxes. EXPLAIN, RULE and
others are using this feature. (Needs the 4th patch to do
this, though)

2. Make keywords' case follow to input

Allow the keywords suggested along with databse objects to
follow the input letter case. The core part of this patch is a
new function additional_kw_query(), which dynamically generates
additional query string with specified keywords in the desired
letter case. COMPLETE_WITH_* macros are modified to accept the
function.

3. Fix suggested keywords to follow input in tab-completion session 2

The 2nd patch above leaves some query string containing static
keyword strings, which results in failure to follow input
letter cases. Most of them are naturally removed but role names
are a bother. This patch puts additional query strings for
several usage of roles but it might be overdone.

4. Introduce word shift and removal feature to psql-completion

This is the second core for the flexibility of completion code.
The word shift feature is the ability to omit first several
words in *MatchesN macros. For example this allows complete
create-schema's schema elements in a natural code. (Currently
those syntaxes that can be a schema elements are using
TailMatches instead of Matches, as the result HeadMatches are
not available there). The words removing feature is the ability
to (desructively) clip multiple suceessive words in the
previous_words list. This feature allows suceeding completion
code not to care about the removed words, such like UNIQUE,
CONCURRENTLY, VERBOSE and so on.

5. Add suggestion for IF (NOT) EXISTS for some syntaxes

This adds IF (NOT) EXISTS suggestion, as a PoC. This patch no
loger covers all adoptable syntaces since the places where more
than boilerplating is required are omitted.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Refactoring-tab-complete-to-make-psql_completion-cod.patch text/x-patch 122.6 KB
0002-Make-keywords-case-follow-to-input.patch text/x-patch 53.7 KB
0003-Fix-suggested-keywords-to-follow-input-in-tab-comple.patch text/x-patch 9.3 KB
0004-Introduce-word-shift-and-removal-feature-to-psql-com.patch text/x-patch 44.9 KB
0005-Add-suggestion-for-IF-NOT-EXISTS-for-some-syntaxes.patch text/x-patch 14.3 KB