Re: POLA violation with \c service=

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POLA violation with \c service=
Date: 2015-02-23 20:56:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:

> My thinking behind this was that the patch is a bug fix and intended
> to be back-patched, so I wanted to mess with as little infrastructure
> as possible. A new version of libpq seems like a very big ask for
> such a case. You'll recall that the original problem was that
>
> \c service=foo
>
> only worked accidentally for some pretty narrow use cases and broke
> without much of a clue for the rest. It turned out that the general
> problem was that options given to psql on the command line were not
> even remotely equivalent to \c, even though they were documented to
> be.

So, in view of these arguments and those put forward by Pavel
downthread, I think the attached is an acceptable patch for the master
branch. It doesn't apply to back branches though; 9.4 and 9.3 have a
conflict in tab-complete.c, 9.2 has additional conflicts in command.c,
and 9.1 and 9.0 are problematic all over because they don't have
src/common. Could you please submit patches adapted for each group of
branches?

Attachment Content-Type Size
psql_fix_uri_service_009.patch text/x-diff 0 bytes