Re: too much pgbench init output

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: too much pgbench init output
Date: 2013-01-06 02:03:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 19.12.2012 06:30, Jeevan Chalke wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz
>> <mailto:tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> attached is a new version of the patch that
>>
>> (a) converts the 'log_step_seconds' variable to a constant (and does
>> not allow changing it using a command-line option etc.)
>>
>> (b) keeps the current logging as a default
>>
>> (c) adds a "-q" switch that enables the new logging with a 5-second
>> interval
>>
>> I'm still not convinced there should be yet another know for tuning the
>> log interval - opinions?
>>

>> It seems that you have generated a patch over your earlier version and
>> due to that it is not cleanly applying on fresh sources.
>> Please generate patch on fresh sources.
>
> Seems you're right - I've attached the proper patch against current master.
>
>> However, I absolutely no issues with the design. Also code review is
>> already done and looks good to me.
>> I think to move forward on this we need someone from core-team. So I am
>> planning to change its status to "ready-for-committor".
>>
>> Before that please provide updated patch for final code review.

As a committer, I have looked into the patch. I noticed two things:

1) In the help you put '-q' option into "Common options" section. I
think this should be moved to "Initialization options" section because
the option is only applied while initializing.

2) Shouldn't a long option for '-q' be provided? Something like
'--quiet-progress-logging'?

3) No patches for docs found (doc/src/sgml/pgbench.sgml)
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan