Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hartmut Goebel <h(dot)goebel(at)goebel-consult(dot)de>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kevin(dot)grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date: 2010-06-10 14:18:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

* Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 15:35, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
> <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> wrote:
> > that will pretty much defeat the purpose for most use cases i guess because
> > people will dump with the defaults and only discover the problem after the
> > fact.
>
> Well, if you dump in custom format, it could be useful to be able to
> do this on pg_restore time. Not having followed this thread in detail,
> but would that work? That would be a much more useful option...

Personally, I feel that *both* would be useful, and I'd be unhappy with
any implementation which didn't include both. That being said, the
users that are likely to run into this problem will, imnsho, be much
happier if we tell them "oh, just flip option X in your pg_dump" than
"go edit the .sql file with vi and find where the problem cases are and
fix them". Obviously, we should caveat our response that this will only
fix the pg_dump/restore problem and that their applications may need to
be fixed.

Thanks,

Stephen