Syslog to postgresql - need peaks of 5.000/s

From: "Michael Monnerie" <michael(dot)monnerie(at)it-management(dot)at>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Syslog to postgresql - need peaks of 5.000/s
Date: 2008-01-26 18:50:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dear list,

I shall build up a central syslog server able to do 5.000 log lines per
second peak, 1.000 sustained. I found some pages describing current
syslog-ng with magic "log to file then insert":
http://ben.muppethouse.com/SYSLOG-DOC.html
http://www.kdough.net/docs/syslog_postgresql/

But according to syslog, they will release the "direct syslog to postgresql"
feature soon:
http://www.balabit.com/network-security/syslog-ng/

Anyway, I'd like to know if anybody has a syslog-ng with postgresql that
does up to 5000 inserts/s, and what hardware I need for that. Of course,
some selects for statistical purposes must also be possible, so not only
writes here. Any ideas?

mfg zmi
--
Michael Monnerie