Re: buildenv.pl/buildenv.bat

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: buildenv.pl/buildenv.bat
Date: 2007-12-11 09:00:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 02:40:37PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >>
> >>You seem to have misunderstood what I am suggesting. Of course we should
> >>document use of buildenv.pl in addition to the hacky fix to the .bat
> >>files. The hack is the part that would be invisible. The docs would be
> >>visible and contain what would be our ongoing practice.
> >>

> >Correct, I was misunderstanding it :-)
> >
> >I still can't say I like that hack though. I'd rather document that you
> >have to do it in the .bat file for docs + gui build.
> >
> >But it's better than what I thought you were proposing :-)
> >

> Well, I honestly think we can live with it for one cycle. As soon as 8.4
> opens I'll get to work converting these .bat files to pure one line
> wrappers.

Ok. We obviously don't agree on what to do here, so let's open it up for somebody
else to comment on what they think is best.

My take is document the fact that you have to do it twice. Andrews is this
patch.

> Meanwhile, here's the proposed patch. If you want something else you'll
> have to do it.
>
> I don't know how many people regularly build on Windows other than you,
> me and Dave.

I know a couple of others. But - it was Dave that got bitten by this thing
first, which is when I noticed it and brought it up :-P

//Magnus