Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?
Date: 2007-11-29 12:40:57
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 09:25:48AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 04:55:00PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > Oh, I wish it could be ;-) But read back int he archives for the screaming
> > > protests from others :-)
> >
> > So we've just given up on following BCPs now?
> >
> > ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc5068.txt
>
> Hmm. Suppose I'm using the mutt MUA, and I have a Postfix instance
> running in my local machine. So mutt does submission to Postfix
> locally, and Postfix delivers to the MTA that my company has set up for
> me.
>
> What port should my local Postfix use to deliver to my company's email
> server?
>

> With Magnus proposal to ban email from @postgresql.org addresses that
> wasn't delivered through mail.postgresql.org, I would not be allowed to
> use my local Postfix server. Instead I would have to configure mutt to
> deliver through mail.postgresql.org whenever I'm using my
> alvherre(at)postgresql(dot)org identity. This would be a pain whenever the
> network was down, for example.
>
> Am I misunderstanding something?

You'd configure your postfix to deliver your @postgresql.org mail using
smtp submission with smtp auth through the postgresql.org servers, and the
other ones through whatever the manager for that domain requests.

So you'd still be using your local postfix server, and not be affected by a
network-is-down anymore than you are now.

//Magnus