Re: Authoring Tools WAS: Switching to XML

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Subject: Re: Authoring Tools WAS: Switching to XML
Date: 2006-12-13 17:14:18
Lists: pgsql-docs

I have read the two long XML threads, and see these issues for
converting to XML:

o authoring, in two parts:

o WYSIWYG - this seems unattainable because such editors are
going to modify the surrounding XML, which will affect
hand-edited changes

o tag assistance - this seems possible, e.g. tag completion,
drop down list of tags available for this section

o output generation - the XML toolchain is more widely used, but Tom has
fixed the performance issue we have had for years. The fact that the
tool maintainers were unable to fix it themselves reflects badly on
their maintenance of this toolchain.

o translation - does XML have better tools to assist in translating our
manuals, and is this better than outputting XML via our makefile?

It would be nice to use htmltidy to clean up the xml before each
release, but I wonder whether it understand the tags well enough to
provide better formatting than we do now manually.

Tom, I think we need that SGML patch placed on our ftp site and a
reference to it made in our documentation. I can do it of you want.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us