Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix some translator comments so that

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix some translator comments so that
Date: 2006-11-28 21:51:25
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I looked at the first URL diff. How is the pgindent output poor?
>
> xgettext extracts comments if the first token of the comment is the tag
> we choose ("translator"). But if the comment is formatted like
>
> /*
> * translator: first %s is name of a SQL
> * construct, eg ORDER BY
> */
>
> then the first token of the comment is actually the second "*", so
> xgettext doesn't take it.
>
> So we'd need a way for those comments to not be formatted that way.

OK, next question. Why does xgettext pull comments? For the assistance
of the translator?

Looking at the diff, your new version uses "/*------" to mark the
comments --- that will prevent pgindent from modifying the comment, so
perhaps that is the right solution. One thing we could do is look for
"/* translator" comments and manually change them.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us