Re: BUG #2776: unable to access created user directory

From: tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de
To: Raghava <kraghavaiah(at)velankani(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2776: unable to access created user directory
Date: 2006-11-25 05:55:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:56:16AM +0000, Raghava wrote:

> Bug reference: 2776
> Logged by: Raghava
> Email address: kraghavaiah(at)velankani(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.1.4
> Operating system: RHEL
> Details:
>
> hi,

[...]
> su postgres
> bash-3.00$ psql finaldb
> finaldb=# \i /home/schema.sql
>
> with this installtion of schema is working fine. But if i place the
> schema.sql in created user directory
>
> i.e useradd raghav
> directory raghav get's created under home floder. If i place schema.sql
> /home/raghav folder and execute the following commands
>
> su postgres
> bash-3.00$ psql finaldb
> finaldb=# \i /home/raghav/schema.sql
>
> with the iam getting "directory cannot be access".

This is supposed to work like that. It has nothing to do with
Postgresql, but with your Unix installation. It seems that by default on
your box one user is not allowed to read another user's home folder
(btw. we Unixers call that "directory"). This makes some sense.

> This iam able to resolve
> by executing the command chmod -R 777 /home/raghav.

Wow. So anyone could remove all files in /home/raghav now. Do you want
that?

> But i have to handle this kind of issue through installtion script. Can u
> please suggest where are we are missing the configuration for postgres?

An installation script shold run as user postgres. The schema should be
part of the installation script and be readable by postgres.

If you have more questions we can continue off-list

regards
- -- tomás