Re: [HACKERS] New XML section for documentation

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] New XML section for documentation
Date: 2006-08-26 18:38:43
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:
> We claim SQL standard compliance,

No, we don't. And SQL conformance doesn't require you to implement all
parts anyway.

> so since those are part of
> SQL:2003, we probably ought to mention them. SQL/PSM is a
> programming language that lives inside the database, and DB2 and
> MySQL have it. SQL/MED lets people talk to other data stores.
> SQL/OLB appears to be derived from equel, which we have as ecpg.
> SQL/Schemata contains the information schema. SQL/JRT appears to
> bear some similarity to PL/Java and PL/J.

It's pretty useless to talk about stuff that we don't have yet. The
point of the XML section is that we have a number of things, and users
are having trouble (understandably) fitting them together.

--
Peter Eisentraut