Re: psqlODBC with Visual Studio 2005 and Connection Pooling for newbies

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: Patrick Donelan <pdonelan(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psqlODBC with Visual Studio 2005 and Connection Pooling for newbies
Date: 2005-12-21 13:24:54
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> Anyway, as far as I can tell the driver is installed by default with
> Connection Pooling off which means that most newbies like me are going
> to hit the performance problem and think that something is wrong with
> psqlODBC. I thought it might be worth putting a note in the README
> alerting people to this.

I think we can change the default behaviour.

> At this stage I'm thinking of having my app forcibly turn Connection
> Pooling on by setting the Windows Registry key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL Unicode
> CPTimeout = 60

Dave, it's good idea to add this to .reg file or install procedure,
isn't it? Please could you add it before releasing 08.01.0200?

> Is this the way to go? Or is there a way that I can enable it for my
> program only with the Connection String? The Visual Studio help files
> seemed to indicate that for ODBC you can only set it on a system-wide basis.

I don't know exactly but I think this is directive only for ODBC manager
not for psqlODBC driver.

> P.S. One other note while I'm writing, in
> FAQ 3.3) What do I need to do to establish a connection to a database?

Could you send us patch for this issue?

Thanks,

Luf