Re: log_min_duration_statement versus log_statement

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: Christian Robottom Reis <kiko(at)async(dot)com(dot)br>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Guilherme Salgado <salgado(at)async(dot)com(dot)br>
Subject: Re: log_min_duration_statement versus log_statement
Date: 2005-07-01 13:32:13
Lists: pgsql-docs

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > OK, what if we change the documentaiton to be:
> >
> > log_min_duration_statement = 1000 # Log all statements whose
> > # execution time exceeds the value, in
> > # milliseconds. -1 disables. Zero logs
> > # all statements and their durations.
> >
> > I think you are confused because log_min_duration_statement is really
> > about _when_ to log (duration > ? ms), and what to log (the statement).
>
> No, I see what Christian is complaining about. If one sets
> log_statement="All", then all statements will be logged regardless of
> duration or the setting in log_min_duration_statement. So it should
> actually read:
>
> log_min_duration_statement = 1000 # Log all statements whose
> # execution time exceeds the value, in
> # milliseconds. -1 disables. This is in addition to
> # any statements logged according to
> log_statement.
>
> I'm with Christian on wanting to change the behavior so that it does what
> the comments says it does currently, but I don't think we'll get that done
> today.

I have updated the documentation to be clearer that this is a complex
setting. The old docs were not very clear on this point.

Attached and applied.

I don't know we can ever combine this with log_statement and
log_duration because log_statement prints when the statement starts, not
when it completes.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size