Re: doc change request (7.4.6, reference section, grant)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: maillist(at)shauny(dot)de, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: doc change request (7.4.6, reference section, grant)
Date: 2005-01-31 21:19:56
Lists: pgsql-docs

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> It's useful (and consistent) to have a mention on the GRANT page.
> Else, the list in GRANT should be a plain list of available
> privileges, without the text that currently follows each.

In any case, his proposed change was wrong because the required
privileges depend on the lock type. Then you start duplicating all
that information and it's going to become a mess to maintain. The
existing list gives a basic idea of what each privilege is for and
explicitly states that details are to be found on the reference page of
each command. Note that the "basic ideas" are fairly static: the
SELECT privilege is always going to allow SELECT. But I will resist
the demand to duplicate the privilege rules of each command and
function on the GRANT reference page.

--
Peter Eisentraut