Re: [HACKERS] Bgwriter behavior

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Bgwriter behavior
Date: 2005-01-01 06:20:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

This change isn't going to make it for RC3, and it probably not
something we want to rush.

I think there are a few issues involved:

o everyone agrees the current meaning of bgwriter_percent is
useless (percent of dirty buffers)
o removal of bgwriter_percent will cause problems because
postgresql.conf is only installed via initdb, so beta users
will have to have some workaround so their existing
postgresql.conf files work.
o bgwriter_percent and bgwriter_maxpages are duplicate for a
given number of buffers and it isn't clear which one takes
precedence.
o 8.1 might use these variables with different meanings,
causing slight upgrade confusion.
o Another idea is for bgwriter_percent to control how much of
the buffer is scanned.

Tom feels bgwriter_maxpages is good because it allows the user to
specify the I/O traffic, while bgwriter_percent as total pages (not just
dirty ones) is perhaps easier to set a default (I/O load varies based on
buffer cache size) and perhaps easier to understand.

I am not sure what to suggest at this point but whatever solution we use
should take the above issues into account.

Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us