Re: SQL:2003 keyword additions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Troels Arvin <troels(at)arvin(dot)dk>
Subject: Re: SQL:2003 keyword additions
Date: 2004-11-24 10:02:03
Lists: pgsql-patches

Simon Riggs wrote:
> If you are saying "we should not support the SQL standard with regard
> to the new reserved words added in SQL:2003", I would understand, but
> not agree.

Conformance to the SQL standard is defined such that statements that are
specified in the standard should work precisely as specified in the
standard. It does *not* mean that statements that are not defined in
the standard should fail to work. Therefore, adding more reserved key
words than necessary does not achieve anything in terms of SQL
conformance.

--
Peter Eisentraut