Re: Plan for feature freeze?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Plan for feature freeze?
Date: 2004-04-30 20:57:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > 1 of the major features that are currently on tap (ie. Win32) *or* June
> > > 1st, whichever happens to be the longer of the two ...
> > >
> > > Indications that I've seen through this discussion are that Win32 can, and
> > > should, be done by June 1st ...so extending may be a moot point anyway ...
> >
> > OK, but I am worried about giving Win32 special treatment, and having
> > the date float like that until Win32 is done. This is what we did with
> > the SMP fixed in 7.3 and the date slipped week by week. We have to set
> > the date firm early on. I think we all agreed to that in the past.
>
> No no ... the date isn't floating on Win32 ... the date is floating on one
> of the major features (PITR, 2PC, etc) ... if Win32 happens to be the
> first major feature, so be it, but it is not contigent on Win32 ...

So you are floating the entire thing. I am tired of discussing this.
You call the freeze and when it is a disaster, you can take the credit.

I am not worrying about any freeze date anymore. You freeze whenever
you want to.

Floating a freeze data has always been a failure. Let's watch it happen
again.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us