Re: [GENERAL] Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas
Date: 2003-12-22 07:02:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Sean Chittenden wrote:
> Hiding pg_temp_* schemas seems like a good idea to me given temp
> objects are visible in every schema and the path of a temp object is
> subject to change... an overly diligent admin might try and hard code
> in the schema of a temp object only to find that path not portable,
> thus exposing that information would strike me as a liability and not
> an asset. And then there's the idea of providing an admin-mode that
> exposes all of the implementation details (Hint, hint. I'd do the leg
> work on this if it wouldn't be categorically dropped at the front
> door). Anyway, I know we've covered this in the archives so I'll drop
> it.
>
> As an FYI, I just updated to an Opteron box and have been enjoying a
> little over 1500 temp schemas and a paltry ~30 non-temp schemas.
> Getting this patch in would be oh so very appreciated as maintaining
> local copies of psql(1) is getting old. I know it's not my decision
> to make, but I'd settle and shut up if there was an indirect proof for
> why this shouldn't be included as a patch (ie, a valid usecase for an
> admin or programmer who would need to see any or all of the pg_temp_*
> schemas without using that data to extract more bits from the
> pg_catalogs. If they know how to go through the catalogs, why do they
> need \dn to display the temp schemas?).

OK, the following patch uses UNION and an =ANY() join to the
current_schemas() array to suppress non-local temp schemas, but display
all other schemas.

There is now cleaner way to join to the current_schemas() array, right?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 1.6 KB