Re: ILIKE

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ILIKE
Date: 2003-03-06 16:06:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I can comment on this --- adding a feature isn't zero cost. There is
maintenance, but the larger cost is of users wading through features to
figure out if they need it or not. We don't want to bloat ourselves to
the point PostgreSQL becomes harder to use.

Let's face it, you have to understand a feature before you can decide if
it useful to you. Adding a feature that is of limited usefulness pushes
that analysis on every PostgreSQL users studying the PostgreSQL feature
set.

Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us