Re: Formatted man pages

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Formatted man pages
Date: 2002-02-22 15:19:39
Lists: pgsql-docs

Tom Lane wrote:
> > thought the postgresql-7.2.tar.gz had everything, including HTML. At
> > least I think it should.
>
> Certainly, and it does.
>
> > So, it has the man pages and HTML files? OK, I see now, the man pages
> > are in the base tarball postgresql-base-7.2.tar.gz, so they don't need
> > to be in the doc tarball. Now, I really do get it.
>
> I thought the item under discussion was which split-tarball file should
> contain the prebuilt doc files. To me, putting 'em in -docs makes much
> more sense than putting them in -base, for both HTML and man-page files.
> So I think your complaint was legit, if poorly worded.

Yes, I did expect them to be only in doc, not in base. In fact, when I
didn't find them in /doc, I thought they weren't anywhere. I never
thought to look in base.

However, Peter's point is that they go with the binaries and are not
part of the documentation set, at least not in man pages format. In
HTML format, they are in the doc set.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us