Re: PostgreSQL BSDI BSD/OS port

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David J(dot) MacKenzie" <djm(at)web(dot)us(dot)uu(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL BSDI BSD/OS port
Date: 2000-07-07 20:53:43
Lists: pgsql-ports

> > I have made a new BSDI item #3 for your semaphore changes. I did not
> > make the shared memory changes you suggested because it requires changes
> > to the kernel include files and the config files. I prefer suggestting
> > the change only in one place. If it were not for the requirement of
> > #ifndef, I would prefer the config file change.
>
> Perhaps you're in a small organization? We're a large ISP and
> build several kernels with different configurations from the same BSDI
> source tree, for use on machines with different purposes and hardware.
> So setting the values in the include files is not an option for us.

I don't suggest complex solutions in FAQ's. If people want to do
complex things on their end, they are welcome to do it.

> I've sent mail to BSDI suggesting that they add the #ifdef, so perhaps
> it will be there in BSD/OS 4.2.

I thought 4.1 would automatically size SYSPTSIZE based on the shared memory
configured. At least that is what BSDI support said. They said the
SYSPTSIZE change would not be neeeed in 4.1. If you don't make the
SYSPTSIZE too, does the kernel still boot with larger shared memory
segments?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us