Re: [HACKERS] generated columns

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] generated columns
Date: 2017-12-27 17:31:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/12/17 15:35, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On 10 September 2017 at 00:08, Jaime Casanova
> <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> During my own tests, though, i found some problems:

Here is an updated patch that should address the problems you have found.

> also is interesting that in triggers, both before and after, the
> column has a null. that seems reasonable in a before trigger but not
> in an after trigger

Logically, you are correct. But it seems excessive to compute all
virtual columns for every trigger. I don't know how to consolidate
that, especially with the current trigger API that lets
you look more or less directly into the tuple.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Generated-columns.patch text/plain 106.7 KB