Re: [GENERAL] Interbase replacement

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Warnock <david(at)sundayta(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Interbase replacement
Date: 1999-12-22 18:30:57
Lists: pgsql-general

> Hi,
>
> We use Postgresql, but we also use Interbase. However, at present there
> is a question mark over the future of Interbase (the top people have all
> resigned and we do not yet know what inprise will do with the product,
> there are rumours it will be dropped).
>
> Many users of Interbase are currently looking at alternatives. Of these
> Postgresql is in many ways one of the best options. It lacks only a few
> things
>
> critical (at least for some)
> - support for Windows 9x

This is a huge leap for us. Only if cgywin can be ported to it. That's
the only way we got to NT.

> - transaction log with roll forward from backups

That will be in 7.1, due in 6 months.

> desireable
> - stored procedures

Have it.

> - relational integrity via foreign keys

That will be in 7.0, due in a few months.

> Would it be possible to find ways to pay postgresql developers to add
> these things? We would be very happy to pay several $1000 for these and
> it might be possible to find others from the Interbase community.

Money always helps, but we already have most of what you need coming.

> I know that we have discussed Win 9x before and that there are technical
> issues. I am hoping that with funds ways around these could be found.

Win 9x seems like a HUGE leap for us. Where is cgywin on that?