Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Backend as SW Gateway to Oracle

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: armin(at)ap-kas(dot)ie(dot)philips(dot)com (Armin Schloesser)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Backend as SW Gateway to Oracle
Date: 1998-07-09 15:24:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hello Bruce,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> I already have anticipated that there is no off the shelf solution for my
> problem.
>
> A wrapper linpq I dont't want to use, cause then I would have to link
> against different stuff coneccting to PostgreSQL and Oracle. I want to
> have this switching done not in my application, but in a separate process.
>
> After all the Oracle client SW is not available under Linux.
>
> Nevertheless I would like to implement this Oracle Gateway using the
> PostgeSQL stuff.
>
> Now the problem for me is how to get used to the backend architecture as
> fast as possible. That means is there any more deeper technical doku
> available, describing the backend control flow and architekture.
> Especially the layout of list and nodes structure of the parser.

Check the web site documentation. Under developers, there is all the
stuff you should need. Description/flowchart, and developers FAQ.

> Cause using the Oracle OCI there has to be some preprocessing done to
> parse the libpq SQL strings for binding input and output variables to. So
> a simple SELECT call is not mappable to a single OCI call.

You would have to put code into the server to call pass the query and
returned data to oracle. Not easy.
> Sorry for the long lines. I used the netscape to generate the mail and he
> doen't complain about long lines. I will use the good old pine in the
> future.

You can set your netscape window size in your .Xdefaults file.

Netscape.Composition.geometry: =750x650

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026