Re: WAL log archive frequency

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Jewell <c(dot)jewell(at)lancaster(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL log archive frequency
Date: 2006-01-19 17:01:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Chris Jewell <c(dot)jewell(at)lancaster(dot)ac(dot)uk> writes:
> Further to my question on PITR, I have now implemented it :-) However,
> I was wondering about the frequency of archiving the WAL. Does
> postgresql wait until the current WAL file has reached 16MB before
> calling the archive_command?

Yes. The assumption is the archive_command may be too stupid to deal
with archiving the same file more than once, and/or might have
performance issues with doing that, eg, if it's writing to tape or some
kind of write-once media.

You can do something like saving the newest-by-timestamp file in the
xlog directory every minute or whatever via a cron job. This ought to
be better integrated though ...