Re: can't handle large number of INSERT/UPDATEs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Curtis Zinzilieta <curtisz(at)norchemlab(dot)com>
Cc: Anjan Dave <adave(at)vantage(dot)com>, Matt Clark <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>, Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: can't handle large number of INSERT/UPDATEs
Date: 2004-10-27 03:21:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

Curtis Zinzilieta <curtisz(at)norchemlab(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Er ... it *is* the other way around. bi is blocks in (to the CPU),
>> bo is blocks out (from the CPU).

> Ummm.....
> [curtisz(at)labsoft T2]$ man vmstat
> bi: Blocks sent to a block device (blocks/s).
> bo: Blocks received from a block device (blocks/s).

You might want to have a word with your OS vendor. My vmstat
man page says

IO
bi: Blocks received from a block device (blocks/s).
bo: Blocks sent to a block device (blocks/s).

and certainly anyone who's been around a computer more than a week or
two knows which direction "in" and "out" are customarily seen from.