Re: BUG #5087: Submitted bug reports not showing up in a timely manner (or at all)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5087: Submitted bug reports not showing up in a timely manner (or at all)
Date: 2009-09-29 21:58:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk> writes:
> "Tom" == Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> Tom> A quick grep in my mail logs shows that since Jan 1, I have
> Tom> received 440 bug-reporter emails, bearing numbers from 4598 to
> Tom> 5087 (a range of 490 numbers). So Andrew's "one-third" is a
> Tom> large exaggeration,

> My "one-third" figure is out of those cases where I say to someone on
> IRC, "you need to submit this as a bug", they say "ok, I filled in the
> reporting form and it gave me number #nnnn". This sample is probably
> quite biased against people who would already have been subscribed to
> the -bugs list.

Hmm ... that's a fair point, but on the other hand my impression is that
few of the people who use the bug form are subscribers at all. I think
people who are subscribed tend to just mail the list directly and not
bother with the form. I can't quantify that easily though.

Anyway the important point here is whether there's any significant
number of posts that get lost for a reason other than being rejected
as spam. Only the moderators would have any idea how many get rejected
as spam, so I'd still like to hear from one of them (or somebody with
access to the moderation data anyway).