Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-29 19:27:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com> writes:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Yes, it was vague. The question is now that we are a month away, do
>> we want to target June 1, mid-June, or July 1.

> ... In short, speaking strictly from a win32
> perspective, a June 1 date will probably be missed.

Fair enough. Do you feel comfortable with either of the other dates?

The point of this discussion is not so much to crack the whip as to get
people's schedule expectations aligned. If we set a date X, those who
can't possibly meet it will know to plan on getting into a later release
instead, and those who can meet it if they hustle will know to start
hustling. But we need to set a date. It's unfair to other parts of the
project to say "oh, we'll wait till Win32 is ready and then give two
weeks notice".