Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic Recovery Control functions for use in Hot Standby. Pause,

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic Recovery Control functions for use in Hot Standby. Pause,
Date: 2011-02-09 05:02:38
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 12:50 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 3:30 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > Basic Recovery Control functions for use in Hot Standby. Pause, Resume,
> > Status check functions only. Also, new recovery.conf parameter to
> > pause_at_recovery_target, default on.
>
> Why did you change the default to on? This would surprise people who are
> used to PITR.

You pointed out that the code did not match the documented default. So I
made them match according to the docs.

Making it pause at target by default is more natural behaviour, even if
it is a change of behaviour. It can waste a lot of time if it leaves
recovery at the wrong point so I don't see the change as a bad one? Only
PITR is affected, not replication or standalone operation.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/