Re: plpython3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: James William Pye <lists(at)jwp(dot)name>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: plpython3
Date: 2010-02-01 18:53:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> To recap the votes I've seen on this thread and elsewhere:

> - JD is very enthusiastic about this patch
> - So is the OP
> - Josh Berkus and I are both dubious about having two in-core PL/pythons
> - Peter Eisentraut prefers the original implementation
> - Greg Smith thinks (if I'm not putting words into his mouth) that
> this might be worth considering, but not for 9.0

One other problem with accepting this to be parallel with the existing
plpython is that there's a name conflict: Peter's work to allow the
existing PL to use Python 3 has already claimed the name "plpython3".
Whether it's to be distributed in core or separately, I think something
needs to be done about that.

The first thought that comes to mind is "plpythonng", following a
tradition established by the tcl client rewrite among others ... but
that double n doesn't read very well.