Re: pg_dump problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Laura Del Caño <ldelcano(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump problem
Date: 2008-08-28 16:07:05
Lists: pgsql-general

"=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Laura_Del_Ca=F1o?=" <ldelcano(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I am issuing the following command:
> pg_dump -c -o -s -n distributed -f backups/schema.sql syslog
> which apparently works fine. It is only when I tried to restore it in
> a fresh created database using:
> psql syslog < backups/schema.sql
> that I get lots of errors saying objects do not exist.

> Having a look at the schema.sql file I see the following:

> SET search_path = distributed, pg_catalog;
> CREATE SCHEMA distributed;

Is that SET located before/during the sequence of DROPs issued due to -c ?

I think this is a known bug in the behavior of -c. It was fixed before
8.3 release but doesn't seem to have been back-patched into any older
branches:

http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/bin/pg_dump/pg_backup_archiver.c.diff?r1=text&tr1=1.149&r2=text&tr2=1.151

Simplest workaround with older pg_dumps might be to avoid -c and
just do a manual "DROP SCHEMA distributed CASCADE" before restoring
the dump.