Re: Converting a plperlu function to a plpgsql function

From: Devin Whalen <devin(at)synapticvision(dot)com>
To: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>, mail(at)joeconway(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Converting a plperlu function to a plpgsql function
Date: 2004-07-22 19:18:25
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 15:09, Jeff Eckermann wrote:
> --- Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> wrote:
> > Devin Whalen wrote:
> > > First line:
> > > my @active_tables=split(/,/,$tables);
> > >
> > > Is there anyway to split a variable like the perl
> > split above?
> >
> > I'm no perl guru, but in 7.4 I believe this does
> > what you're looking for:
> >
> > regression=# select string_to_array('1,2,3',',');
> > string_to_array
> > -----------------
> > {1,2,3}
> > (1 row)
> >
> > > Second line:
> > >
> > > if ($r=~/^-([0-9]?)([A-z_]+)/)
> > > {
> > > my $locid = $1;
> > > my $table = $2;
>
> PostgreSQL doesn't offer capturing parentheses. The
> regex library does offer that, but no-one has yet done
> the coding to bring that functionality into
> PostgreSQL.
>
> You could do it in two steps:
> 1. Test using a regular expression
> 2. locid := substr(r,1); table := substr(r,2,1-len(r))
> (better check the syntax on those).
>

> > Not sure about this one. Hopefully someone else can
> > chime in. Maybe a
> > little less efficient, but it seems like it would be
> > easy enough to
> > parse when true.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Joe

> > majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org

Hey,

Thanks for the advice guys. The main reason that we wanted to change
from a perl function was because we were having problems getting the
perl library installed for postgres. We think we have solved that
problem so it looks like I won't have to convert the function. However,
your responses have made me realize that I can convert it. So I think
I will convert it because it saves having to connect up to the database
from inside the perl function. This might be a little faster??

Thanks for the help.

Later

--
Devin Whalen