Re: Ammunition

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ammunition
Date: 2003-08-14 13:28:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 21:22, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > I found the quote from Scott McNealy most ironic:

ironic? it's just wrong. but scott knows what he's doing by advocating
open source software that wont cut into it's meat n potatoes buisness of
partnering with oracle. (at some point he'll realize oracle is moving
from slowlaris to linux, and maybe he'll one up them by bundling
postgresql...)

> > > http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,78443,00.html
> > >
> > > "If you want to save...money, make the default database MySQL. It's
> > > free, it's bundled [with Sun's Solaris software], you've got the whole
> > > open-source community working on making it better. If Yahoo and Google
> > > can run their entire operations on MySQL, then certainly there's a
> > > huge chunk of your operations that could run on it as well."
> >
> > I had a chat with some of the Google guys when I went to LinuxWorld in New
> > York 2 years back ... unless something has changed dramatically, Google
> > has their own backend engine, and it isn't/wasn't MySQL ... and has Yahoo
> > been using Google for awhile now?
>
> Google may use it else where, but the Google search is not powered by it,
> as far as I can tell from discussions with Google guys at conferences this
> year.

Thats correct. This article gives a little insight into what they are
doing: http://www.internetweek.com/story/INW20010427S0010
Yahoo use it extensively for content for Web sites, etc.But they
> also used Oracle extensively, last I knew.

Last I checked the only place that mysql is used was in the yahoo
finance section, and it is used exclusively to power read only content.
They do have plans to use it in this capacity in other areas, but for
their heavy read/write stuff the use oracle.

Robert Treat