Re: [PORTS] Compile with Solaris 10 AMD 64bit Sun CC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn de Munnik <martijndemunnik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PORTS] Compile with Solaris 10 AMD 64bit Sun CC
Date: 2005-09-02 03:36:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-ports

Martijn de Munnik <martijndemunnik(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm trying to compile PostgreSQL 8.0.3 on a Sun Solaris 10 box, dual
> opteron and using the sun studio cc compiler. I get the following error;

It looks to me like we currently cover amd64 only for gcc. Do you want
to roll up your sleeves and fix that, or is it easier just to use gcc?
If the former, look at:

src/include/storage/s_lock.h

There's a chunk of code here that's
#if defined(__sun) && defined(__i386)
This probably needs to also allow whatever Sun's compiler
defines as the CPU symbol for amd64.

src/backend/port/tas/solaris_i386.s

It sounds like this contains code that is not quite
syntactically right for amd64. We manage to share code
between i386 and amd64 for gcc, so maybe that's fixable;
if not, you'll need to create a parallel file with the right
assembler syntax for amd64.

src/template/solaris

There's a "case $host" here that may need modification,
especially if you decide you need a separate .s file.

It's worth your while to fix this, because the performance with
--disable-spinlocks will seriously suck. If you do fix it,
please send in a patch.