could not create socket for statistics collector: Protocol not supported

From: "Chris" <chris(at)paymentonline(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: could not create socket for statistics collector: Protocol not supported
Date: 2004-09-27 06:25:26
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm a little confused about why I am getting this. I was reading a message
from Tom earlier that said it was because postgresql could not bind to
localhost, but the statistics collector is running and localhost does
resolve to 127.0.0.1. There is no dns server, only an /etc/hosts file. Is
it possible that it's still resolving fine, but either getaddrinfo() or
something else is returning an error because there is no dns server
available? I do see a lot of failed connection attempts to port 53 from
postgres. This is on freebsd 5.2.1/Posgresql beta1.

Chris